The Animal Emergency Care ‘Pet of the Week’ is a feature that highlights patients who have secured a special place in the hearts of AEC staff. This is usually by demonstrating exceptional behaviour whilst in hospital or by experiencing a crisis that can educate the public about pet emergencies. We would like to thank all the owners who have given permission for their pet’s stories to be shared.

Share your favourite photos or stories of your pets on our Facebook page.

Our patient of
the week......

Levi

Levi was rushed to AEC after his owner discovered he had eaten some rat bait at home. Given that he had eaten it recently, we were able to induce vomiting which produced some spectacularly coloured results. This amount of rat bait ingested would certainly be fatal if left untreated, so Levi is lucky to have […]

Read More

Puss Puss -

Puss Puss came to AEC with blood in her urine. She is certainly a smoocher who loves lounging around, and is on her way to a full recovery.

Read More

Hondo -

Handsome Hondo is staying the night with us after presenting with abdominal pain and dehydration. Here we have pictures of before fluids and after fluids…he is feeling a lot better and we hope he gets back to 100% soon.

Read More

Cooper -

Jack Russell Terrier puppy Cooper, weighing only 2.5kg, was brought in to AEC after he sneakily stole a lamb bone. He was anaesthetised and an endoscopy performed to extract a 10cm rib bone from his stomach! This bone would not have been able to pass through his digestive tract, and if left untreated, would likely […]

Read More

Morris -

Morris presented to AEC after having a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting. Many owners are not aware that some bee species are still active at night, often located on ground level vegetation that curious dogs can reach. Reactions vary from the development of ‘hives,’ localised swelling (usually the face), sudden onset limping (if […]

Read More

Hecktor -

10-month-old Hecktor was rushed to AEC this evening after having been hit by a car travelling approx 60km/hr. The impact was focused over his hind end. He suffered no external injuries, but imaging revealed a pelvic fracture. Thankfully it is a fairly minor fracture and he is predicted to make a full recovery.

Read More

Taofu -

Taofu recently presented to AEC for a bout of gastrointestinal upset…his rugged good looks and exceptional temperament make him our Pet of the Week! All the staff at AEC wish him a speedy recovery.

Read More

Maurice -

Maurice came into AEC when he went into respiratory distress. He was lucky that his owners knew to recognise symptoms of an underlying heart condition and raced him straight into emergency. Early recognition and treatment meant that he was discharged shortly after, and did not require hospitalisation or intensive care. Despite giving his owners a […]

Read More

Mila -

Mila was referred to AEC for care after she developed an acute hepatopathy (liver impairment). She is a lovely girl and AEC hopes she makes a full recovery very soon.

Read More

Fox -

The lovely Fox came in this evening after it was suspected she had eaten a AA battery…she was taken for imaging which determined that she was not the culprit for the missing battery, so while it’s good news for mum, it means a big hunt for the missing battery at home! Fox is our patient […]

Read More

Pip -

Pip came in over the weekend in respiratory distress…after imaging was performed, it was discovered that she had somehow gotten a piece of chicken caught in her nasopharanx…the area at the back of the throat between the nasal and oral cavities…an absolute mystery how it managed to get up there, but luckily it was able […]

Read More

Neb -

Neb thought that the Easter Bunny had left a surprise for him while his family was out…luckily his family were quick to get him to AEC so that we were able to get all the chocolate out of him before it had a chance to have a toxic effect…we are confident that Neb will make […]

Read More