Together, Animal Emergency Care and Perth Vet Specialists operate a blood bank so that we have donated blood available when sick or injured dogs and cats need a transfusion. It is made possible by the wonderful pets and their owners that volunteer to be blood donors. Below, you can meet and learn more about our very special donor heroes!
Bleeding tumours, rat bait poisoning, trauma, autoimmune diseases, and severe anaemia are just some of the reasons that our pets may need blood. Donating blood is a straightforward procedure that carries very little risk to healthy donors. There are, however, some criteria that need to be met:
- Healthy and free of disease
- Ideally 1-8 years of age (but healthy older dogs or cats can be used)
- At least 25kg bodyweight (and not overweight) for dogs; healthy young large cats over 5kg.
- Vaccinations and heartworm prevention up to date
- Desexed (if female) and no previous pregnancies
- Friendly personality
- Have not received a blood transfusion
If your dog or cat meets all of these requirements then they are half way to becoming one of our DONOR HEROES. All new donors undergo a screening process of a full physical exam and blood tests. Once they have joined our donor list, blood can be given as often as every 3 months. Collection takes 10-15 minutes but most patients stay in the hospital for 2-3 hours.
All donors are given a bag of premium pet food, lots of cuddles and endless amounts of thanks! If you think your dog or cat meets the criteria and would like to register as a donor then please use the email address firstname.lastname@example.org